A place for random bloggery

Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Thank You and a Meme

Hello all. Yes, it's been like two weeks since I updated this thing, what of it? I've been busy.

Busy with what? Well, I'm glad you asked. Aside from the usual business (work, child-rearing, housework, quality spouse time and indulging my vices), I've been busy writing the last chapters of Amorlia. Yes, that's right, it's done. It finished up this Friday, and I'm not really sure yet what to do with myself. I tried to keep to a regular 5-days-a-week update schedule, and I think I succeeded for the most part. But that meant I had something to do from Sunday night through Thursday night. Now I don't. I'm sure I'll find something to take its place, but this Sunday night may be spent in a drunken haze, just for laughs.

Anyway, I found a fun new meme over at Kat's and Xmichra's blogs. I'm going to do mine in a minute, but first I have something to say.

As I posted each chapter of Amorlia, I also put that chapter into a document that I'm using to self-publish the novel as a printed book. When all was said and done, I had myself a 402-page book.

402 pages. In five months. That's pretty damn fast.

So, once I'd finished patting myself on the back and telling myself what a great guy I was, I decided I also had to give credit where it's due. Therefore, I am taking this opportunity to thank the following people, who's consistent reading and commenting kept me on track and made the whole "402 pages in 5 months" thing possible. Most people who commented even semi-regularly got characters named after them, so I'll be putting their character names in parenthesis.

Kat (Sister Kat)
Tanya (Sister Tanya)
Raynwomaan (Sister Rayna)
Karma (Sister Karma)
Teri (Sister Teri)
Purplesimon (Brother Sime)
Xmichra (Michra the Gunfighter)
Lisa (Lisana, Queen of the Nightwalkers)
Sar (Sar, the Fire Spirit)
Kim (The Monga) - I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Kim's amazing family, most of which ended up as part of the Wild Clan. The Ki-Mon, Trae, Sa'raa, Bon, Anton & Dru, Frankl, the War Chief, Anya, Naatem and Colyn are all based on members of Kim's madly beautiful family.

I also know there were plenty of people who were regular readers but didn't necessarily comment. I want to thank all of you for your constant (if silent) support.

So, one more time, a great big THANK YOU to everyone who read, commented, suggested, inspired and complimented. You all totally rock and this story would not have happened (nor been as much fun to write) without you, for all that it's been rattling around in my head for over a decade.

You guys are awesome.

Right. So, that's the schmaltz out of the way. On to the meme.

This how it works: Comment on this entry and I will give you a letter. Write ten words beginning with that letter in your journal, including an explanation of what the word means to you and why, and then pass out letters to those who want to play along.

Kat gave me the letter "L". My words, in no particular order, right off the top of my head:

Life - I am very pleased to have mine. I think, in general, that life is good. I hope all of you are enjoying yours.

Love - An overwhelming emotion, at once capable of lifting us to the loftiest heights and crushing us down to the coldest and darkest depths. It is also one of the most overused words. How is it that the same word we use to describe the feelings we have for our spouses, our children and the people who gave us life is also the same word we use to describe what we think of, say, hamburgers.

Ladders - These are good. They help us go up, and to a lesser extent, down. Not quite as efficient as stairs, or an elevator, but they do the job.

Lycanthropy - Any of you ever have this? It sucks. I swear, if I wake up after a full moon with my bed covered in fur and blood all over my face one more time... hm. I've said too much.

Lollipop - I'm not a fan of these. I think it's the stick.

Luscious - My favorite descriptive term for a beautiful and sexy woman. Generous curves always bring this word to mind.

Lush - What I turn into when I drink. If I'm drinking, I'm getting drunk. Otherwise, what's the point of drinking?

Lust - Ahh, who doesn't love this feeling? That hot flush in your skin, the rush of blood, the quickening heartbeat... all because you look at someone and think, "I want that".

Liberty - Something of mine I'm rather attached to. I'm rather curious how long we'll all be able to hold onto ours.

Lollygagging - What you all need to stop doing around here. Post's over. Move along!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

What a wonderful Thank You. You are very welcome. It was such a treat to have just a bit of story to look forward to five nights a week. It's a wonderful book.

Interesting choice of words. lol.

12:58 PM

 
Blogger Tamarai said...

Fun! Amazing, though that you got 402 pages! You fabulous man!

What's my letter?

4:27 AM

 
Blogger Lola Starr said...

402 pages in 5 months-that's absolutely amazing! :)

My favorite two words out of those is luscious (cause it's so much fun to say!) and lush (cause I am one.) :)

9:07 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Big hugs Chris. The book was amazing and your grasp of my family members was dead on. My family loved the idea of the book and have enjoyed hearing about their characters, it was truly our honor to have been selected, Thank YOU.

9:36 AM

 
Blogger Rae Ann said...

You are so prolific!! I just can't keep up with it all. I like your "L" words. Oh, and I meant to comment on your HNT but blogger was having problem the other day. I thought the pic was rather erotic! LOL

10:41 AM

 
Blogger Bored Housewife said...

Oh, the L words...so many beautiful choices, and still so many more!!

402 pages. Will you send out an email the SECOND it's posted for sale? I mean, the very moment, mistah! I can't wait to read it all in one piece, in all my hands, the smell of ink and paper and...

You amaze and astound and inspire.
xo

2:58 PM

 
Blogger Xmichra said...

I am glad that you got to finish your book.. but I am also very sad. I loved reading that story, and if for no other reason, now I have to find some actual WORk to do while at work. Yeish. hehe.

Great words! I think I just gave Rayna the same letter!! In my defence, I had no idea since I was an the in-laws with dreaded dial up *ew*. I am so happy to be here in the cyber free flowing world..hehe.

8:59 PM

 
Blogger Xmichra said...

just to let you know, i switched domains as of last night wheeee!

so you can go to xmichra.com to see what i have been up too! hehe.

8:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home