A place for random bloggery

Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Quick Post

While I'm finishing my post-breakfast coffee, I figured I'd post a few thoughts. Breakfast was quite good, by the way. I made omelet sandwiches. My daughter was my able assistant and was also in charge of toasting the bread. She's becoming quite helpful in the kitchen. :)

So, as you may have noticed, I have taken down the Pink Floyd story. Why? I don't know. I think that will be the norm for stories of that type. I'll post them for a limited time, then take them down. Again, why? Again, I have no idea. I'm an odd dude, and this is just one of my funny little ways. ;)

Also, I wanted to share one of my guilty pleasures. In addition to re-reading Restaurant at the End of the Universe, I am also re-reading (also for the Nth time) The Galaxy Primes by Edward E. "Doc" Smith. It is, quite possibly, the greatest example of bad science fiction writing ever. It was written in 1965, and it is very much of the "sci-fi for horny teenage boys" variety. The two main women characters are a domineering bitch and a mousy sweetheart. Both are drop-dead gorgeous and dress like strippers. Women are described in minute detail (with terms like "leggy" and "breasty"), and special attention is given to their (generally sparse) clothing. The men get far less description, and fall into the "square-jawed, take no shit tough-guy" or "quiet, yet strong, sensitive guy". I'm only a chapter into it, and they've already had five conversations about sex. The first planet they came to, every single inhabitant wanted to sleep with them the second they landed. They are also vastly superior to all the inhabitants of this planet, and the desire for sex is to improve the planet's genetics. Oh, and did I mention the crew of this ship is made up entirely of Americans?

So, yeah. This is definitely one of those "so god-awful it's awesome" books. I don't know if it's even still in print. I have my dad's old copy, which is nice and yellowed and musty smelling.

And that's all for me. There's a mountain of snow outside, which is driving the 5-year-old inside out of her mind. Time to go play.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

While you were describing that story, I kept getting images of that old movie "Barbarella" in my head. I think I got the name right.

A mountain of snow sounds like fun. What little we had this morning is already gone.

3:32 PM

 
Blogger Xmichra said...

haha.. all i can picture is 'Heavy Metal' women.. !!

Your choice to post and keep them posted. Whatever floats your boat. :)

Snow is overrated. We have not much now, and it is all melting and getting us all sick!! ick! But i remember being five and thinking it was the best stuff on earth. Edible, playable and clean looking.

5:52 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Sadly, all I got to do with the mountain of snow was shovel it. She had fun, though.

11:35 PM

 
Blogger Lola Starr said...

I love Restaurant at the End of the Universe (actually the whole series). I've read it about 15 times since college. Hated the movie though.

8:42 AM

 
Blogger Kat said...

When I went to Walmart for neccesities (my camera battery was dying) I noticed they had a big display of snow shovels right inside the door. It gave me a good chuckle.

9:30 AM

 
Blogger bubbles said...

Play, have fun and be a kid again. The words aren't going to change but that sweetie pie will! Enjoy!

10:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home